Our annual large food drive is coming up. This the second year we have participated with the Minneapolis Council of Churches in their “Pack the Pews Sunday” food drive. The donations go directly to local food shelves. Through your generosity, last year we were able to collect over 850 pounds of food! That was a great start for our first time. The date to bring the food this year is Palm Sunday, March 20 at the 10 am service. The food can be left in designated pews or in the gym (where the Palm procession will begin).
You can also help by donating funds. Food shelves can stretch cash further because of their access to discount products and bulk-buying programs. Make checks out to St. John’s with “Mustard Seed” in the memo and put them in a Mustard Seed envelope for the offering plate. All Mustard Seed offerings in the month of March will be given to Minnesota Foodshare to be passed on to our local food shelves.
Suggested food items to bring:
- Canned tuna and other canned meat/fish
- Canned beans and vegetables
- Canned soup
- Beef stew/Sloppy Joe mixes
- Canned ravioli, microwaveable mac & cheese, and other “heat and serve” pastas
- Canned fruit and juice (single or multiple servings)
- Instant potatoes
- Cereal and cereal bars
- Pudding cups
- Fruit roll-ups
- Jam/jelly and pickles/ketchup/mustard
- Toilet paper and paper towels