Helping our elders
Meals on Wheels is a senior nutrition program available throughout the United States. Programs are community-based and use local volunteers. St. John’s provides volunteers for the program located at the West 7th Community Center near St. Clair and Oneida.
- generally working in pairs
- deliver meals each Monday of the month except holidays, each team works one Monday per month
- Food pick up is around 10:45 am. Delivery to recipients takes about 45-60 min
- The route includes Wilder high rise just off Edgecumbe and Lexington and 3-5 homes in the area
- All volunteers have to fill out forms, provide references and be checked in offender databases.
The filled hot and cold food containers can be heavy and bulky; an old luggage cart to wheel around Wilder high rise the might come in handy. The food containers remain in the car and just the meals are carried to the houses. A volunteer can choose not to do the route in bad weather, such as snowstorms.